How We Work
All Are Welcome
Habitat for Humanity of San Angelo, Inc. has an open-door policy: in short, Habitat welcomes volunteers and supporters from all backgrounds and also serves people in need of decent, affordable housing regardless of race or religion.
How It Works
Habitat for Humanity of San Angelo builds affordable homes, relying on community donations and volunteer support. Selected future homebuyers are required to perform “sweat equity” (hours in partnership with Habitat) as part of their commitment. They purchase Habitat houses at-cost with a 0% interest mortgage usually for 20 years. With their monthly mortgage payments, our homeowners are “paying it forward.” Their principal payments help provide support to build additional Habitat houses in San Angelo.
As a matter of policy, Habitat for Humanity San Angelo, Inc. does not proselytize. This means that Habitat will not offer assistance on the expressed or implied condition that people must either adhere to or convert to a particular faith, or listen and respond to messaging designed to induce conversion to a particular faith.
Habitat Homebuyers are selected based on need, ability to pay and willingness to partner. Below are some examples of these criteria.
Need For decent, affordable housing...
● Structural problems with wiring, plumbing
● Cost burdened – family pays too much of income on housing
Ability To Pay...
● Currently employed for previous 12 months
● Inability to obtain conventional financing
● Meets income guidelines
Willingness To Participate...
● Willingness to complete application process in a timely, honest manner
● Willingness to participate in education sessions
● Willingness to partner with Habitat throughout the build process
For more information call 325-655-7535